Are you thinking about selling your home in the winter? Winter presents its own unique set of challenges, there are steps you can take to brighten your home and make the showing pleasant and enjoyable for your buyers:
Make a Good First Impression
- Keep the path to your entrances clear of fallen leaves and snow.
- Spread a light layer of sand or salt to ensure none of your potential buyers lose their footing.
- If it’s raining, add a tall bucket at the front door and a rubber mat to hold wet umbrellas and shoes.
- Add a winter wreath on the front door, this can stay up well past the new year.
Let the Light Shine
- Clean the windows! Winter days are darker, you’ll need as much light as you can get.
- Pull up the blinds and push back the curtains.
- Turn on every light in the house, including over the stove and in the closets.
Turn up the Heat
- If you have a fireplace, wood or gas, get it going before the potential buyers make it to the front door.
- Heat the house! You want the temperature inside to be comfortable. You may like it around 19c but your potential buyers may feel there is something wrong with your furnace. Give them a reason to linger!
Get in the Mood
- Light candles (scent-free).
- Add flowers, a winter bouquet or even poinsettias will make a difference in making your house look homey.
- Bake some cookies or warm a pot of hot apple cider on your stove.
- Turn on soft music. Find a commercial-free, acoustic Jazz or Classical playlist.
Think warm thoughts this winter season!